You should register within 8 days of arrival at your local town hall ("Gemeinde"), even if you are staying in a hotel.  See the links at Facts and Figures.   Work and residence permits are issued by the local immigration office  ("Einwohnerkontrolle") in each Gemeinde.  Assuming you already have an employment contract, take with you the following documents:
  • Original passports for you and all family members 
  • Your health insurance certificate (showing you hold a policy with a Swiss health insurance company)
  • 2 passport photos (for you and all family members )
  • Civil status documents such as family booklet, marriage certificate, birth certificates of children, etc.
  • Your employment contract
  • Your rental contract
  • Your "Bewilligungszusage" which you will be given by your employer.  This is a confirmation that you have been granted a permit in Switzerland.
For detailed information  or for applications for corporate establishment and residence permits , you can contact:
Amt für Migration des Kantons Luzern
Fruttstrasse 15
6002 Luzern

Phone +41 41 228 77 80
Fax +41 41 210 15 87

open Monday to Friday,
09.00 to 12.00 and 13.00 to 17.00

The Canton of Lucerne has a welcome desk service for all new arrivals and can be contacted for any questions you may have.


 “FABIA is a Competence Centre for Advising and Integrating Foreigners”
FABIA offers an information and advisory service for integration matters and personal problems concerning immigration.
The Scope of our Activities:
Social and workplace integration
Inter- and cross-cultural questions concerning immigration
Language courses and integration matters
Matters concerning the social and health systems
Matters concerning schooling and education
Legal matters (residence permits, social insurance, family law etc. )
Project Advice and Guidance
Courses and Presentations on various intercultural and integration subjects for
organisations and clubs for immigrants
Arranging contact to professionals
Find out more on: